Sunday, May 23, 2021

S'mores Season

But let's be real, it's ALWAYS s'more season :D Obviously, the classic s'more is the BEST (although substituting a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup for the Hershey's Chocolate Squares is awesome too!)  Usually I eat about six in a siting :O I consider myself a s'mores connoisseur :D I LOVE s'mores, and as such, have tried many, many, many s'mores related foods. I have a shirt that says, "I only go camping for the s'mores" ;) Haha!

I decided to rank my ten top favorite s'mores treats. Part of my criteria is that it has to taste like s'mores--just because something has s'mores components, doesn't mean it's s'mores. At the end of this post, I list other s'mores treats I've tried that didn't make the list of ten. For reference: 1 is least favorite, 10 is most favorite. 

1. S'mores Cupcakes: I say least favorite, but if it made the list of ten, it's not the worst. I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate cake but I do eat it occasionally. The type of s'mores cupcake I've tried was chocolate with marshmallow crème in the middle. There was also a graham cracker crust on the bottom of the cupcake, along with graham cracker crumbs and toasted marshmallow on top of the chocolate frosting. It looked similar to the one pictured below. I should venture more into baked s'mores creations and would love to try Brette's s'mores cake from Hobble Creek Cake Co. (also pictured below). Link to her website embedded in photo.

 

2. S'mores Oreos: To me, these s'mores Oreos tasted very similar to their gingerbread flavored Oreos and their golden Oreos. Also, the "marshmallow" part is just white frosting...not marshmallow-y tasting. I ate one cookie and didn't crave another. I do love Oreos though, so they're worthy of the list by that alone! Haha.

3. S'mores Hot Chocolate, Stephen's: This was just "alright". Not super great, not super bad. You get a hint of graham cracker flavor but, other than that, it's just like regular hot chocolate with marshmallows. 

4. S'mores Poptarts: I loved how the pastry was soft graham cracker, rather than their regular pastry they use--it had a really great flavor and texture! The filling tasted like something else I've tried but I can't put my finger on it...Basically, it tastes how you would expect a s'mores Poptart filling to taste.


5. S'more Pie: This recipe was created by Portlandia Pie Lady (link embedded in image). I have made it several times! It's great for summer time--I usually make it for the 4th of July. It's a pretty rich pie so it goes a long way, unless you're me! Haha. Also, numbers 5-10 was where it got REALLY hard to narrow down. Pictures: Left, Portlandia Pie Lady Right, the one I made. 



6. S'mores "Krispie" Treats: I put "Krispies" in quotes because they're not made from Rice Krispies but they are a similar concept...and, as a society, brand names are often substituted for nouns/verbs  (Q-tips instead of cotton swabs, Kleenex instead of tissues, Google it instead of look it up, Xerox instead of Copy, etc.) I digress. To make these, you simply break graham crackers into chunks (coarsely rather than fine crumbs), coat with melted marshmallows (like you do with Rice Krispie Treats) and toss in some chocolate chips (recipe linked in image). 
In this picture, they use Hershey Bars, but I prefer chocolate chips. Also, I've seen a version of this with Golden Grahams Cereal but I personally do not like Golden Grahams. To me, they are fake graham crackers...but it's all personal preference!


7. S'more Cups: These are SO good and SO simple! I've been making these for about ten years now. I'll just include the recipe right here. You're welcome ;)

S'more Cups:
Ingredients:
7 Whole Graham Crackers, finely crushed
1/4 c. powdered sugar
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
4 bars (1.55 oz.) milk chocolate candy (Hershey's)
12 large marshmallows
Instructions:
Make graham cracker crust by combining graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter. Place 1 Tbsp. in each cup of mini muffin pan. Press down. Bake 4-5 minutes at 350 degrees. Place one chocolate square in each cup. Place half a marshmallow (I cut mine with kitchen shears) in each. Bake 1-2 minutes. Let cool. If desired, dip in melted chocolate. Enjoy!
I've also made these using chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. 

I found this picture on Facebook, taken 10 years ago!! S'more cups on my cheap college dishes :D I'm sure you can Google a better picture but this is great for nostalgia. 

8. S'more Cookies: I found this recipe on Pinterest and because of it, created a whole Pinterest board dedicated to s'mores. These were SO good! I haven't made them nearly as often as I should. I have brought them to many-a-potluck in the past. The picture doesn't do them justice, especially since I've ranked them as #8. I've embedded the link in the picture for their recipe--they are seriously SO good!! 


9. "S'more" Pinwheels: These are the first treat that don't actually have s'more in their name...I just put it there. My mom used to buy these for picnics growing up. They are the perfect s'more!! Also, they're store-bought, so no prep on your part! Very convenient for any s'more lover when you need to get your fix. The bottom of the cookie is a graham cracker layer, then marshmallows, and all covered in chocolate. You can find these at most grocery stores and the off-brand are just great! I recommend buying them at Walmart or Winco. 


10. Graham Canyon Ice Cream: Finally! The best, my favorite, all-time-best "s'mores" dessert in my opinion is Graham Canyon Ice Cream (another one without s'more in the name...) from BYU creamery. You can also purchase it where BYU creamery ice cream is sold (Deseret Bookstores in Utah County, grocery stores near BYU, etc.) I didn't go to BYU, I went to USU (Go Aggies!) so this may flag me as a traitor, but I'm willing to accept that risk because this ice cream is THAT good!! Most ice creams fail at the s'more concept because they just don't taste like a s'more. The base flavor for this one is graham cracker ice cream (to die for!! Also, so smart! Rather than using chocolate or vanilla....this really pulls in the s'more flavor for me) with graham cracker crumbles in it. It also has chocolate covered honeycomb candy--SO good. Just top it with a few marshmallows, and BOOM, s'more perfection.


I'm curious what your rankings would be on the s'mores products you've tried! Email me at jenbanks16@gmail.com to let me know :) 

Also, other s'more products I've tried: 
-S'more trail mix (this would be great if the marshmallows didn't get stale...)
-S'more Goldfish (I like these except for the marshmallow bits...I'm not a huge fan of the cereal marshmallows they use in Lucky Charms and these are just like those. I like them occasionally but I don't put them in the same category as "marshmallows").
-S'mores Granola Bars (more of the same reasons...)
-S'more Pops (good, but not great marshmallow/graham cracker/chocolate ratio)

No comments:

Post a Comment